power management - can't wake from sleep mode
Adam
2015-09-30 14:23:32 UTC
Host OS: Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular

I am having similar problem (can't wake from sleep mode) as ...

Problems waking up from sleep mode ...
https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110131022941305&board_id=1&model=Sabertooth+P67&page=1&SLanguage=en-us

What BIOS settings do I need to enable/disable for power management to work?
Adam
2015-09-30 16:49:57 UTC
Post by Adam
Host OS: Ubuntu Desktop 12.04 LTS
Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth 990FX
Display Adapter:
Sapphire 100315L Radeon HD 6850 Video Card - 1024MB, GDDR5, PCIe,
mini-Display Port, HDMI, Dual DVI
Henry Crun
2015-10-01 09:48:22 UTC
Post by Adam
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular
I am having similar problem (can't wake from sleep mode) as ...
Problems waking up from sleep mode ...
https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110131022941305&board_id=1&model=Sabertooth+P67&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
What BIOS settings do I need to enable/disable for power management to work?
Have a look at:

HTH
--
Mike R.
Home: http://alpha.mike-r.com/

--- news://freenews.netfront.net/ - complaints: ***@netfront.net ---
Adam
2015-10-01 11:12:34 UTC
Post by Henry Crun
Post by Adam
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular
I am having similar problem (can't wake from sleep mode) as ...
Problems waking up from sleep mode ...
https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110131022941305&board_id=1&model=Sabertooth+P67&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
What BIOS settings do I need to enable/disable for power management to work?
Thanks, I will look into this thread with a fine-tooth comb in order to
better understand it, which will take more time.
Post by Henry Crun
HTH
Adam
2015-10-02 02:46:23 UTC
Post by Adam
Post by Henry Crun
Post by Adam
Power Supply: OCZ ModXStream Pro 600W Modular
I am having similar problem (can't wake from sleep mode) as ...
Problems waking up from sleep mode ...
https://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20110131022941305&board_id=1&model=Sabertooth+P67&page=1&SLanguage=en-us
What BIOS settings do I need to enable/disable for power management to work?
Thanks, I will look into this thread with a fine-tooth comb in order to
better understand it, which will take more time.
Okay, that thread (1968487), in the end, suggests to
use the method mentioned here...

Ubuntu - Resume your computer from any USB device (keyboard, mouse, remote,
...)
http://bernaerts.dyndns.org/linux/74-ubuntu/220-ubuntu-resume-usb-hid
which should be applicable with any Linux flavor using a kernel version
prior to 3.10.

I checked the USB keyboard for resume. But, after suspend,
pressing the Ctrl key causes some activity (NumLock light comes ON, etc.) so
I know something is happening but the monitor/display does not resume.

Such an elegant solution yet I still am not yet able to get my system to
completely wake up.
What am I missing?
Post by Adam
Post by Henry Crun
HTH
stepore
2015-10-02 03:54:19 UTC
On 10/01/2015 07:46 PM, Adam wrote:
<snips>
Post by Adam
Such an elegant solution yet I still am not yet able to get my system to
completely wake up.
What am I missing?
What you're missing is most likely the right video drivers for your
graphics card. It's the usual suspect for non responsive system after
suspend.

If the official open source radeon module/driver is not working for you,
then you'll have to download and install the proprietary drivers from
AMD. I don't envy you. GLHF.
mike
2015-10-02 06:56:29 UTC
Post by stepore
<snips>
Post by Adam
Such an elegant solution yet I still am not yet able to get my system to
completely wake up.
What am I missing?
What you're missing is most likely the right video drivers for your
graphics card. It's the usual suspect for non responsive system after
suspend.
If the official open source radeon module/driver is not working for you,
then you'll have to download and install the proprietary drivers from
AMD. I don't envy you. GLHF.
On my system, the wireless lan driver was the problem.
I had to edit some configuration file to insert a command line
that one never could have guessed.
I was lucky enough to find the solution by googling for weeks
until I tripped over it. Fortunately, some guru had the problem
and had shared his fix.

Good luck.
Adam
2015-10-02 08:05:20 UTC
Post by mike
Post by stepore
<snips>
Post by Adam
Such an elegant solution yet I still am not yet able to get my system to
completely wake up.
What am I missing?
What you're missing is most likely the right video drivers for your
graphics card. It's the usual suspect for non responsive system after
suspend.
If the official open source radeon module/driver is not working for you,
then you'll have to download and install the proprietary drivers from
AMD. I don't envy you. GLHF.
On my system, the wireless lan driver was the problem.
I had to edit some configuration file to insert a command line
that one never could have guessed.
I was lucky enough to find the solution by googling for weeks
until I tripped over it. Fortunately, some guru had the problem
and had shared his fix.
Good luck.
Thanks, but my motherboard has onboard LAN.

I have an old PCI Creative SoundBlaster Live! 5.1
sound card.in there, which I can probably remove.

BTW, when I ran the USB device selection script,
it listed "C-Media Electronics, Inc."
What is that?
Adam
2015-10-02 08:50:17 UTC
Post by Adam
Post by mike
Post by stepore
<snips>
Post by Adam
[...]
The only thing I can think of is the monitor's USB hub.
But, I thought hubs weren't suppose to be listed?
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
2015-10-02 13:19:33 UTC
Post by Adam
BTW, when I ran the USB device selection script,
it listed "C-Media Electronics, Inc."
What is that?
GOOGLE it. Damn!

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=c-media

It is part of the sound card.
Adam
Sound card? On a USB device list?
Cybe R. Wizard
2015-10-02 12:28:00 UTC
On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 23:56:29 -0700
Post by mike
On my system, the wireless lan driver was the problem.
I had to edit some configuration file to insert a command line
that one never could have guessed.
...but quite apparently someone actually /DID/ come up with it, eh?
Post by mike
I was lucky enough to find the solution by googling for weeks
until I tripped over it. Fortunately, some guru had the problem
and had shared his fix.
...and he (not you) was the one learned enough to come up with the fix.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
"The Barsoom Project"
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
2015-10-02 13:28:58 UTC
Post by mike
I was lucky enough to find the solution by googling for weeks
until I tripped over it. Fortunately, some guru had the problem
and had shared his fix.
...and he (not you) was the one learned enough to come up with the fix.
He wants his hand held through all things not pointy clicky on his
computer.

I would say he learned from mommy, but the old fart is past that
problem. It's basic hard wired "do it for me" disease.
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
2015-10-02 13:17:25 UTC
Post by mike
Fortunately, some guru had the problem
and had shared his fix.
So, you admit that you are dumber than dogshit, and all of your
retarded assessments about Linux AND other people over the years are as
bent as they could possibly get.
Adam
2015-10-02 04:10:35 UTC
Post by Adam
Post by Adam
Post by Henry Crun
Post by Adam
[...]
***@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$ cat /proc/acpi/wakeup
Device S-state Status Sysfs node
SBAZ S4 disabled pci:0000:00:14.2
UAR1 S4 disabled pnp:00:0a
P0PC S4 disabled pci:0000:00:14.4
UHC1 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:12.0
UHC2 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:12.2
UHC4 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:13.2
UHC6 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:16.2
UHC7 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:14.5
PC02 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:02.0
PC03 S4 disabled
PC04 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:04.0
PC05 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:05.0
PC06 S4 disabled
PC07 S4 disabled
PC09 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:09.0
PC0A S4 disabled pci:0000:00:0a.0
PC0B S4 disabled pci:0000:00:0b.0
PC0C S4 disabled
PC0D S4 disabled pci:0000:00:0d.0
PE20 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:15.0
PE21 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:15.1
PE22 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:15.2
PE23 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:15.3
USB3 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:13.0
USB5 S4 disabled pci:0000:00:16.0
PWRB S4 *enabled
***@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$

Only PWRB has an asterisk? How can that be?
Post by Adam
Post by Adam
Post by Henry Crun
HTH
Cybe R. Wizard
2015-10-02 12:33:21 UTC
On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 19:46:23 -0700
Post by Adam
I checked the USB keyboard for resume. But, after suspend,
pressing the Ctrl key causes some activity (NumLock light comes ON,
etc.) so I know something is happening but the monitor/display does
not resume.
Does the computer show activity? Maybe it's just monitor turning
itself off.

<xset dpms>

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
"The Barsoom Project"
Adam
2015-10-02 14:15:20 UTC
Post by Cybe R. Wizard
On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 19:46:23 -0700
I selected the USB keyboard for resume. But, after suspend,
pressing the Ctrl key causes some activity (NumLock light comes ON,
etc.) so I know something is happening but the monitor/display does
not resume.
Does the computer show activity? Maybe it's just monitor turning
itself off.
Thanks, yes, on key press, there is partial resume (I hear activity from
drives,
NumLock light comes ON, but monitor power light does not turn GREEN from
AMBER).
Can't tell what else is happening.
Post by Cybe R. Wizard
<xset dpms>
Searching for "xset dpms" gives...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Power_Management_Signaling

***@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$ xset q
Keyboard Control:
auto repeat: on key click percent: 0 LED mask: 00000002
XKB indicators:
00: Caps Lock: off 01: Num Lock: on 02: Scroll Lock: off
03: Compose: off 04: Kana: off 05: Sleep: off
06: Suspend: off 07: Mute: off 08: Misc: off
09: Mail: off 10: Charging: off 11: Shift Lock: off
12: Group 2: off 13: Mouse Keys: off
auto repeat delay: 500 repeat rate: 30
auto repeating keys: 00ffffffdffffbbf
fadfffefffedffff
9fffffffffffffff
fff7ffffffffffff
bell percent: 0 bell pitch: 400 bell duration: 100
Pointer Control:
acceleration: 2/1 threshold: 4
Screen Saver:
prefer blanking: yes allow exposures: yes
timeout: 0 cycle: 0
Colors:
default colormap: 0x20 BlackPixel: 0 WhitePixel: 16777215
Font Path:
/usr/share/fonts/X11/misc,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/share/fonts/X11/Type1,/usr/share/fonts/X11/100dpi,/usr/share/fonts/X11/75dpi,/var/lib/defoma/x-ttcidfont-conf.d/dirs/TrueType,built-ins
DPMS (Energy Star):
Standby: 0 Suspend: 0 Off: 0
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On
***@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$

Also, a day or two ago, my old monitor died.
After installing the spare monitor, I get the following...

"Could Not Apply The Stored Configuration For Monitors X Server Does Not
Support Size Requested"

on bootup.

And, when I try to start the Catalyst Control Center,
I get the following...

Initialization error:

There was a problem initializing Catalyst Control Center Linux edition.
It could be caused by the following.

No ATI graphics driver is installed, or the ATI driver is not functioning
properly. Please install the ATI driver appropriate for your ATI hardware,
or configure using aticonfig.

***@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$ sudo aticonfig --initial -f
aticonfig: No supported adapters detected
Post by Cybe R. Wizard
Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
"The Barsoom Project"
Paul
2015-10-02 15:23:38 UTC
Post by Adam
Post by Cybe R. Wizard
On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 19:46:23 -0700
I selected the USB keyboard for resume. But, after suspend,
pressing the Ctrl key causes some activity (NumLock light comes ON,
etc.) so I know something is happening but the monitor/display does
not resume.
Does the computer show activity? Maybe it's just monitor turning
itself off.
Thanks, yes, on key press, there is partial resume (I hear activity from
drives,
NumLock light comes ON, but monitor power light does not turn GREEN from
AMBER).
Can't tell what else is happening.
I think I'd want to test control-alt-Fn or similar
and see if a console-like window appears. You can switch
between X and a set of terminal windows, using
some control-key combinations.

http://linux.about.com/od/linux101/l/blnewbie5_1.htm

<Ctrl><Alt><Fn> (n=1..6)
Switch to the nth text terminal.

So something like <Ctrl><Alt><F4> might work.

Using <Ctrl><Alt><F7> takes you back to X. With
appropriate assumptions about whether the input
subsystem is running or not...

The other possibility, is video output is being
sent to the wrong output connector. Depending
on the video card, you might not have enough
interface types on the monitor, to test all
possible video card outputs (like the cards
with DisplayPort on them).

If the video driver has impedance sensing working,
then unplugging the monitor connector and plugging it
back in, should help the video subsystem notice
a monitor has been connected. But it doesn't guarantee
it will be driven immediately. I don't think any OS
flips to multi-monitor mode, just because a second or
nth monitor just appeared on the hardware interface.

Now, in the good ole days (my Unix youth), we used
to Telnet into black screen boxen, and see whats up.
But of course we can't have nice things now, so
no telnetd (via inetd) for you... In simpler times,
we could tunnel in, do some checking, and see whether
X was actually running or not. Go check the log for X
and so on.

Even "pinging" the broken computer, will help you
determine its running state. If it answers a ping,
then "it's alive", for some value of "alive".

Paul
Adam
2015-10-02 17:30:13 UTC
Post by Paul
Post by Adam
Post by Cybe R. Wizard
[...]
Thanks, but no luck. Pressing <Ctrl><Alt><Fn> for all n=1..7
made no difference.
Post by Paul
The other possibility, is video output is being
sent to the wrong output connector. Depending
on the video card, you might not have enough
interface types on the monitor, to test all
possible video card outputs (like the cards
with DisplayPort on them).
The monitor only has DVI-D and VGA (not used) connectors.
The Radeon HD 6850 has a Single-link DVI-D and
a Dual-link DVI-I connection. Moving the DVI cable made no difference.

I was able to open the DVD drives.
Post by Paul
[...]
Bingo!

Thanks (Guru Paul), from my laptop, I started ping...

ping <ASUS-DESKTOP ip addr>

which kept spewing out info...

<snip>
64 bytes from 192.168.1.104: icmp_seq=626 ttl=64 time=0.218 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.104: icmp_seq=627 ttl=64 time=0.151 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.104: icmp_seq=628 ttl=64 time=0.257 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.104: icmp_seq=629 ttl=64 time=0.217 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.104: icmp_seq=630 ttl=64 time=0.144 ms
64 bytes from 192.168.1.104: icmp_seq=631 ttl=64 time=0.197 ms

<snip>

Then, I suspend the desktop causing ping to stop generating info on the
laptop.

Pressing <Ctrl><Alt><F1> on the suspended system caused
ping to continue generating info on the laptop again.

Seems like the system was able to resume but not the display subsystem.
stepore
2015-10-03 05:58:20 UTC
On 10/02/2015 10:30 AM, Adam wrote:
<snip>... /and so should you!/
Post by Adam
Then, I suspend the desktop causing ping to stop generating info on the
laptop.
Wait, what? I must have missed this in the details, but you're looking
to suspend a desktop? Why?
Post by Adam
Pressing <Ctrl><Alt><F1> on the suspended system caused
ping to continue generating info on the laptop again.
Seems like the system was able to resume but not the display subsystem.
Right, so as I suggested before (and so it seems from another post of
yours) it appears that your graphics drivers are not
installed/configured properly. Reinstall the proprietary drivers (best
from AMD directly as instructed) or try the radeon driver (unless that's
what you're actually using now). Have you even checked to see which
driver is loaded?

something like:
lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'
Adam
2015-10-03 20:59:55 UTC
Post by stepore
<snip>... /and so should you!/
Post by Adam
Then, I suspend the desktop causing ping to stop generating info on the
laptop.
Wait, what? I must have missed this in the details, but you're looking to
suspend a desktop? Why?
For "automatic" energy efficiency. Screensaver Preferences has
Power Management settings that I would like to take advantage of to
save energy costs without having to manually shutdown the system,
which is not good for the system.
Post by stepore
Post by Adam
Pressing <Ctrl><Alt><F1> on the suspended system caused
ping to continue generating info on the laptop again.
Seems like the system was able to resume but not the display subsystem.
Right, so as I suggested before (and so it seems from another post of
yours) it appears that your graphics drivers are not installed/configured
properly. Reinstall the proprietary drivers (best from AMD directly as
instructed) or try the radeon driver (unless that's what you're actually
using now). Have you even checked to see which driver is loaded?
lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'
Thanks, entering that command gives...

Kernel driver in use: fglrx _pci
Henry Crun
2015-10-04 01:31:00 UTC
Post by Adam
For "automatic" energy efficiency. Screensaver Preferences has
Power Management settings that I would like to take advantage of to
save energy costs without having to manually shutdown the system,
which is not good for the system.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why would that be?

Adam
2015-10-04 03:28:46 UTC
Post by Henry Crun
Post by Adam
For "automatic" energy efficiency. Screensaver Preferences has
Power Management settings that I would like to take advantage of to
save energy costs without having to "manually" shutdown the system,
which is not good for the system.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Why would that be?
You got me.

Er, because, too often, I'll forget to
Adam
2015-10-04 03:23:23 UTC
Post by Adam
Post by stepore
<snip>... /and so should you!/
Post by stepore
Post by Adam
Pressing <Ctrl><Alt><F1> on the suspended system caused
ping to continue generating info on the laptop again.
Seems like the system was able to resume but not the display subsystem.
Right, so as I suggested before (and so it seems from another post of
yours) it appears that your graphics drivers are not installed/configured
properly. Reinstall the proprietary drivers (best from AMD directly as
instructed) or try the radeon driver (unless that's what you're actually
using now). Have you even checked to see which driver is loaded?
lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'
Thanks, entering that command gives...
Kernel driver in use: fglrx _pci
***@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$ lspci -nnk | grep -i vga -A3 | grep 'in use'
Kernel driver in use: fglrx_pci
***@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$ jockey-text -l
kmod:k10temp - AMD K10 core temperature monitor (Free, Enabled, In use)
xorg:fglrx - ATI/AMD proprietary FGLRX graphics driver (Proprietary,
Enabled, In use)
***@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$

fglrx may be from PPA Ubuntu-x-swat. But, how to know for sure?
Robert Marshall
2015-10-03 09:00:05 UTC
Post by Paul
Now, in the good ole days (my Unix youth), we used
to Telnet into black screen boxen, and see whats up.
But of course we can't have nice things now, so
no telnetd (via inetd) for you... In simpler times,
we could tunnel in, do some checking, and see whether
X was actually running or not. Go check the log for X
and so on.
I'm seeing the same issue on 2 computers with 15.04 - one a desktop one
a laptop, the machine is running, I can ssh in but I can't get the
monitor to wake. X was still running, I tried killing off the session
(whilst in with ssh) with no effect. In my case both have the nvidia drivers.

Robert
Robert Marshall twitter: @rajm
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
2015-10-03 10:10:41 UTC
On Sat, 03 Oct 2015 10:00:05 +0100, Robert Marshall
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by Paul
Now, in the good ole days (my Unix youth), we used
to Telnet into black screen boxen, and see whats up.
But of course we can't have nice things now, so
no telnetd (via inetd) for you... In simpler times,
we could tunnel in, do some checking, and see whether
X was actually running or not. Go check the log for X
and so on.
I'm seeing the same issue on 2 computers with 15.04 - one a desktop one
a laptop, the machine is running, I can ssh in but I can't get the
monitor to wake. X was still running, I tried killing off the session
(whilst in with ssh) with no effect. In my case both have the nvidia drivers.
Robert
Ctrl-Alt-F2 doesn't bring up a command line login prompt?

If so, then Ctrl-Alt-F7 should return you to the X session. Or from
there, you could stop the display manager then restart it.
Robert Marshall
2015-10-03 10:49:02 UTC
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by Paul
Now, in the good ole days (my Unix youth), we used
to Telnet into black screen boxen, and see whats up.
But of course we can't have nice things now, so
no telnetd (via inetd) for you... In simpler times,
we could tunnel in, do some checking, and see whether
X was actually running or not. Go check the log for X
and so on.
I'm seeing the same issue on 2 computers with 15.04 - one a desktop one
a laptop, the machine is running, I can ssh in but I can't get the
monitor to wake. X was still running, I tried killing off the session
(whilst in with ssh) with no effect. In my case both have the nvidia drivers.
Robert
Ctrl-Alt-F2 doesn't bring up a command line login prompt?
If so, then Ctrl-Alt-F7 should return you to the X session. Or from
there, you could stop the display manager then restart it.
No it doesn't, keyboard seemed dead. Whilst in the ssh session I tried a
sudo reboot which closed the connection (inevitably) but didn't reboot,
I guess the un-sleep is waiting for something which overrides the reboot

Prior to 15.04 sleep worked fine (and for a some time after the upgrade)
as to what was updated after that that's broken sleep I'm not certain -
I initially thought it was odd but thought it must be me!

I'll try invoking a sleep again and an ssh'ed reboot and examine
/var/log carefully for clues.

Robert
2015-10-03 16:07:20 UTC
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by Paul
[...]
There was a thread here (the ubuntu group) a while ago about a key
sequence which restarts a supposedly locked up system.

It utilizes the system request key (SysRq)

Perhaps that person could repost the procedure for you, as I was
unable to find the thread.
Robert Marshall
2015-10-03 17:36:44 UTC
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by Paul
[...]
<ALT>-SysRq rseiub (something about Skinny Elephants being Utterly Boring) I
tried that too but will check next time whether sysrq is enabled
/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq suggests it is..

This looks interesting when logged in via ssh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key#Alternate_ways_to_invoke_Magic_SysRq
ie echo $SYSRQLetter > /proc/sysrq-trigger

I see that page prefers reisub

Robert
Robert Marshall twitter: @rajm
Robert Redelmeier
2015-10-03 23:39:56 UTC
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
There was a thread here (the ubuntu group) a while ago about a key
sequence which restarts a supposedly locked up system.
It utilizes the system request key (SysRq)
Perhaps that person could repost the procedure for you, as I was
unable to find the thread.
<ALT>-SysRq rseiub (something about Skinny Elephants being Utterly Boring) I
tried that too but will check next time whether sysrq is enabled
/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq suggests it is..
This looks interesting when logged in via ssh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key#Alternate_ways_to_invoke_Magic_SysRq
ie echo $SYSRQLetter > /proc/sysrq-trigger
I see that page prefers reisub
In X on my Ubuntu-derived system, it takes <CTL><ALT><SYSREQ>
to be held down while hitting the Magic SysRq commands.
<s>ync is generally safe, and shows in `dmesg`

idea why you might want REI as well.

-- Robert
jeff g.
2015-10-04 07:08:48 UTC
I have no idea why you might want REI as well.
maybe for the camping trip he takes after torching his box? :)

(google REI)
Cybe R. Wizard
2015-10-04 13:47:08 UTC
On Sun, 4 Oct 2015 00:08:48 -0700
Post by jeff g.
(google REI)
Have you done that? It really doesn't result in a lot of help.

Googling for, "linux rei," otoh...

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
"The Barsoom Project"
Robert Marshall
2015-10-04 13:09:27 UTC
Post by Robert Redelmeier
Post by Robert Marshall
Post by DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno
There was a thread here (the ubuntu group) a while ago about a key
sequence which restarts a supposedly locked up system.
It utilizes the system request key (SysRq)
Perhaps that person could repost the procedure for you, as I was
unable to find the thread.
<ALT>-SysRq rseiub (something about Skinny Elephants being Utterly Boring) I
tried that too but will check next time whether sysrq is enabled
/proc/sys/kernel/sysrq suggests it is..
This looks interesting when logged in via ssh
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magic_SysRq_key#Alternate_ways_to_invoke_Magic_SysRq
ie echo $SYSRQLetter > /proc/sysrq-trigger
I see that page prefers reisub
In X on my Ubuntu-derived system, it takes <CTL><ALT><SYSREQ>
to be held down while hitting the Magic SysRq commands.
<s>ync is generally safe, and shows in `dmesg`
On my system the Ctrl is not needed - having just tried suspending again
it would appear that the SysRq keys do work, maybe last time I tried it
after running reboot (from ssh) and by the time I invoked SysRq the
system was in some weird half suspended state (see below)?

Looking at syslog below (mildly edited the only removal of entries is
when the ... line occurs, no lines elided between 08:34:25 and 11:20:26)
around the suspend/restart point, 08:34 is when I ran sleep and tried to
wake it at 11:20 but at 11:20:34

11:20:34 systemd[1]: Started Suspend.

!! It would appear to be in a suspend loop? Though I was still able to
login via ssh. I've checked the behaviour for pressing the power
button (which is how I wake it up) and that has 'When power button
pressed - Prompt logout dialogue' I don't think that would be acted
upon once the wake has happened?

The ACPI entry [231373.004566]
ACPI: Preparing to enter system sleep state S3
also looks wrong

Still I'm unsure whether my issues are identical to Adam's he's seeing
his with the flgrx driver I have the extra nvidia driver

08:34:25 kernel: [231371.541636] PM: Syncing filesystems ... done.
08:34:25 kernel: [231371.948124] PM: Preparing system for mem sleep
08:34:25 org.kde.kded5[1784]: powerdevil: ACTIVE SESSION PATH CHANGED: "/"
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.140067] Freezing user space processes ... (elapsed 0.040 seconds) done.
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.180586] Freezing remaining freezable tasks ... (elapsed 0.001 seconds) done.
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.181820] PM: Entering mem sleep
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.181864] Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.182617] parport_pc 00:04: disabled
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.182844] serial 00:03: disabled
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.183069] serial 00:02: disabled
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.183182] sd 2:0:1:0: [sdb] Synchronizing SCSI cache
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.183199] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Synchronizing SCSI cache
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.319707] sd 2:0:1:0: [sdb] Stopping disk
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.319855] sd 2:0:0:0: [sda] Stopping disk
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.988038] PM: suspend of devices complete after 805.925 msecs
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.988395] PM: late suspend of devices complete after 0.354 msecs
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.988684] ehci-pci 0000:00:1d.7: System wakeup enabled by ACPI
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.988741] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.3: System wakeup enabled by ACPI
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.988758] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.2: System wakeup enabled by ACPI
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.988784] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.1: System wakeup enabled by ACPI
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.988797] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: System wakeup enabled by ACPI
11:20:26 kernel: [231372.988922] r8169 0000:03:00.0: System wakeup enabled by ACPI
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.004107] PM: noirq suspend of devices complete after 15.708 msecs
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.004566] ACPI: Preparing to enter system sleep state S3
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.005820] PM: Saving platform NVS memory
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.006059] Disabling non-boot CPUs ...
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.007273] kvm: disabling virtualization on CPU1
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.007282] smpboot: CPU 1 is now offline
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.007451] ACPI: Low-level resume complete
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.007451] PM: Restoring platform NVS memory
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.007451] Enabling non-boot CPUs ...
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.007451] x86: Booting SMP configuration:
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.007451] smpboot: Booting Node 0 Processor 1 APIC 0x1
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.007279] Initializing CPU#1
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.007279] kvm: enabling virtualization on CPU1
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.021154] CPU1 is up
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.022274] ACPI: Waking up from system sleep state S3
11:20:26 kernel: [231373.023163] uhci_hcd 0000:00:1d.0: System wakeup disabled by ACPI
11:20:34 systemd[1]: Time has been changed
11:20:34 systemd-sleep[26132]: System resumed.
11:20:34 systemd[1]: Started Suspend.
11:20:34 systemd[1]: Unit sleep.target is not needed anymore. Stopping.
11:20:34 systemd[1]: Stopped target Sleep.
11:20:34 systemd[1]: Stopping Sleep.
11:20:34 systemd[1]: Reached target Suspend.
11:20:34 systemd[1]: Unit suspend.target is bound to inactive unit systemd-suspend.service. Stopping, too.
11:20:34 systemd[1]: Starting Suspend.
11:20:34 anacron[26218]: Anacron 2.3 started on 2015-10-04
11:20:34 anacron[26218]: Normal exit (0 jobs run)
11:20:34 org.kde.kded5[1784]: powerdevil: Switched to inactive session - leaving unchanged
11:20:34 NetworkManager[739]: <info> wake requested (sleeping: yes enabled: yes)
11:20:34 NetworkManager[739]: <info> waking up...
11:20:34 NetworkManager[739]: <info> (eth0): device state change: activated -> unmanaged (reason 'sleeping') [100 10 37]
11:20:34 NetworkManager[739]: <info> (eth0): deactivating device (reason 'sleeping') [37]
11:20:34 NetworkManager[739]: <info> (eth0): canceled DHCP transaction, DHCP client pid 969
11:20:34 NetworkManager[739]: <info> Writing DNS information to /sbin/resolvconf
11:20:35 avahi-daemon[787]: Withdrawing address record for fe80::d227:88ff:fe41:eff9 on eth0.
11:20:35 avahi-daemon[787]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv6 with address fe80::d227:88ff:fe41:eff9.
11:20:35 avahi-daemon[787]: Interface eth0.IPv6 no longer relevant for mDNS.
11:20:35 dnsmasq[984]: setting upstream servers from DBus
11:20:35 avahi-daemon[787]: Withdrawing address record for 192.168.0.14 on eth0.
11:20:35 avahi-daemon[787]: Leaving mDNS multicast group on interface eth0.IPv4 with address 192.168.0.14.
11:20:35 avahi-daemon[787]: Interface eth0.IPv4 no longer relevant for mDNS.

I see this thread

though that's from a few versions back and relates to closing the lid -
the above syslog entries are from a desktop where I invoked sleep from
the kubuntu main menu

Robert
Robert Marshall twitter: @rajm
Cybe R. Wizard
2015-10-02 15:34:00 UTC
On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 07:15:20 -0700
Post by Adam
Post by Cybe R. Wizard
On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 19:46:23 -0700
I selected the USB keyboard for resume. But, after suspend,
pressing the Ctrl key causes some activity (NumLock light comes ON,
etc.) so I know something is happening but the monitor/display does
not resume.
Does the computer show activity? Maybe it's just monitor turning
itself off.
Thanks, yes, on key press, there is partial resume (I hear activity
from drives,
NumLock light comes ON, but monitor power light does not turn GREEN
from AMBER).
Can't tell what else is happening.
Post by Cybe R. Wizard
<xset dpms>
I misspoke.
<man xset>

Turn Energy Star settings off:
<xset -dpms> (I failed in including the, "-," the first time)
Post by Adam
Searching for "xset dpms" gives...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Power_Management_Signaling
[...]
Post by Adam
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On
Also, a day or two ago, my old monitor died.
Another problem for a different thread?

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Nice computers don't go down.
Larry Niven, Steven Barnes
"The Barsoom Project"
Adam
2015-10-02 16:33:05 UTC
Post by Cybe R. Wizard
On Fri, 2 Oct 2015 07:15:20 -0700
Post by Adam
Post by Cybe R. Wizard
On Thu, 1 Oct 2015 19:46:23 -0700
I selected the USB keyboard for resume. But, after suspend,
pressing the Ctrl key causes some activity (NumLock light comes ON,
etc.) so I know something is happening but the monitor/display does
not resume.
Does the computer show activity? Maybe it's just monitor turning
itself off.
Thanks, yes, on key press, there is partial resume (I hear activity
from drives,
NumLock light comes ON, but monitor power light does not turn GREEN
from AMBER).
Can't tell what else is happening.
Post by Cybe R. Wizard
<xset dpms>
I misspoke.
<man xset>
<xset -dpms> (I failed in including the, "-," the first time)
***@ASUS-DESKTOP:~$ xset -dpms
[...]
DPMS is Disabled
Post by Cybe R. Wizard
Post by Adam
Searching for "xset dpms" gives...
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Display_Power_Management_Signaling
[...]
Post by Adam
DPMS is Enabled
Monitor is On
Sorry, I misunderstood. I thought you wanted DPMS enabled.
Now I can't remember whether suspend was done before or after.
Probably before.