UX302L: Keeping Battery at 50% ?
(PeteCresswell)
2015-11-21 23:53:13 UTC
Recently read some credible comments to the effect that Li batteries
last longer if kept at 50% rather than 100%.

My UX302L rarely goes off of AC and when it does it usually needs to
last less than an hour on battery power.

So....

Is there anything I can run that will tell Asus' battery manager to keep
the battery at 50% instead of 100% ?

Or am I getting spun up over a non-issue ?
Pete Cresswell
Charlie Hoffpauir
2015-11-22 01:12:54 UTC
Post by (PeteCresswell)
Recently read some credible comments to the effect that Li batteries
last longer if kept at 50% rather than 100%.
My UX302L rarely goes off of AC and when it does it usually needs to
last less than an hour on battery power.
So....
Is there anything I can run that will tell Asus' battery manager to keep
the battery at 50% instead of 100% ?
Or am I getting spun up over a non-issue ?
It's probably an issue. My Samsung laptop has an option to stop
charging at 80 %. There's no option to set another limit, it's just
80% or let it go to 100. but they state that it's for longer battery
life if you limit it to 80%.
Paul
2015-11-22 08:06:51 UTC
Post by Charlie Hoffpauir
Post by (PeteCresswell)
Recently read some credible comments to the effect that Li batteries
last longer if kept at 50% rather than 100%.
My UX302L rarely goes off of AC and when it does it usually needs to
last less than an hour on battery power.
So....
Is there anything I can run that will tell Asus' battery manager to keep
the battery at 50% instead of 100% ?
Or am I getting spun up over a non-issue ?
It's probably an issue. My Samsung laptop has an option to stop
charging at 80 %. There's no option to set another limit, it's just
80% or let it go to 100. but they state that it's for longer battery
life if you limit it to 80%.
Look at the first graph here. The laptop is likely
not doing Stage 2, to achieve that 80% objective.

http://www.batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/charging_lithium_ion_batteries

Paul